NYS Governor suspended evictions until August 20: What landlord and tenant must do?
In response to Governor suspending eviction until August 20, Landlords and Tenant must plan now. What should Landlord or Tenant must do prior to August 20?
- If not already, communicate with Tenant. Agree on a payment plan for some rent now and deferral of payment.
- If tenant unwilling to pay any rent, then draft proper non-payment notices and serve them on tenant;
- Be ready to file court case on August 21.
- If tenant agrees and in writing, security deposit can be used for rent. Have all agreement/understanding in writing.
- Communicate with landlord.
- If landlord sends notice then attempt to negotiate and ask for waiver and if not wavier then deferment.
- If you have received SBA loan, do not tell landlord about it. Contact me and we can communicate with landlord and try to resolve.
Whichever side you are, we are here to help.
Those tenant that want to vacate the premises and are concerned about their guaranty, plan ahead.
Today is May 15 and as per your lease, you may be required to give few months of advance notice. You may want to give notice next week.
Get ready, create a plan and so you are prepared.
Written by:Nehal Trivedi